Poor Pants has been working like a fiend lately. He’ll get home super late, and then set the alarm to get into work early. Unfortunately, working late means that waking up is twice as hard (which is not so much his forte anyway), so the poor guy over-snoozed and ended up getting into work about an hour later than he wanted.
When I was working or going to school, I’d usually be up before him, so I’d find some way (nicely waking, head scratching, kitty bombing) to get him out of bed. Now, with my lack of schedule and later hours, I’ve been sleeping later than I ever have. (Note to self: not sure this is a good thing.)
I’ll say one thing for the iPhone alarm – I barely notice it when he sets it. Last night I decided to help out and set the good ol’ clock radio. Not only would he have the dulcet tones of NPR to lure him out of sleep, but also I hid a secret weapon in the nightstand.
And by secret weapon I mean this bad a$$ pocket water pistol (two cartridges of water!)
Just a few squirts elicited a strong “MeHHHH” from the other side of the bed. I kept spraying, just managing to avoid getting him in the face.
After falling for a “Just 5 more minutes, I want to snurgle with you!” (Didn’t I mention something earlier about being a sucker for morning snurgles?) I whipped out the pistol again and went to town on his hair. He was going to wash it anyway.
Despite some initial grumbles, Pants was pretty pleased that the smoothie hand off this morning came off 10 minutes before schedule.
Mango Cilantro Smoothie
- 1 cup frozen mango
- 1 cup frozen spinach
- 1 cup hot water (helps get the spinach and mango ready for blending. I found this super helpful in the winter when there was a ton of frozen spinach and a sad blender)
- 1.5 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp shredded coconut (accidentally bought the reduced fat. Eew. So not good for baking)
- ½ bunch cilantro
- 2 huge handfuls red lettuce
- 1 cup cold water
- Place items in the Vitamix/blender in order listed
- Start blending on low until ingredients mix
- Blend on high until desired smoothie consistency
I love having a smoothie and a few gummies as a mid-afternoon snack, especially when it’s hot outside.